Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Still Here, Barely......

"Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric." - Dr. Thomas Sowell

Well, thought I might drop in. Since it is my blog, I can pretty much do as I damned well please - for now. That could very well change in January when Madame Michelle redecorates 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Apparently, and Barack is certainly qualified to advise the rest of us on this - do NOT make Madame angry, OR ELSE! Gives me the warm and fuzzies for the Hildebeast.

Speaking of which I heard something on either television or radio this morning that brightened my day. Some clod was lamenting that "...government can't do..." this, that or the other thing that he obviously thought government SHOULD be doing, and this was bad. I have no clue as to the particulars of his plight, but my ears perked at the idea "Wait a minute! There is STILL something government CAN NOT do?" This idea gave me a glint of hope. Ten times out of ten, when somebody thinks the government should be doing something it involves money - other people's money (OPM) especially. Even though I have no idea what this guy wants government to do, I am happy they aren't doing it.

Reading very good book right now. Next by Chrichton. He just gets more and more politically incorrect. It is obvious his book-to-film days are over since State of Fear, but I really don't think he gives a damn. I wouldn't either.

I think Cato is now fully grown - all ten pounds of him. His puppy hair is all gone, replaced by the typical Bichon coat. He looks like a Rastafarian with albinism. I did not know this until recent, but I am fortunate to sleep in HIS bed. He now owns a king size mattress that used to be mine.

You may have noticed that this post lacks either theme or continuity. Good. That's the way life is right now.

Got a new computer. Best Buy likes me because I always purchase the product replacement warranty. They also hate me because I have every intention of using it. Did it again. I am now up to five replacements - two laptops, two desktops and a digital camera. They loathe me and think I am a thief. I have noticed something. The PSP warranty is roughly a third of the cost of the product, and lasts for three years. Any decent retail manager will tell you that a third of the price is the wholesale cost of the item - remainder is labor cost, overhead, and profit. This is why Geek Squad was invented. What these myrmidons essentially do is likened to the function of goalie. Whatever is wrong with your computer, it is either not covered under warranty, or it is your fault, or both. Furthermore, if you insist on pestering them, they will send your computer to the cleaners for three weeks so some idiot can press the F9 key (or whatever) and erase your hard drive. If you would like to keep your data, they will charge you 100 bucks to back up your hard drive. Normally, you would do this yourself, but since the DVD burner is not working, they have a magical way to do this at the store. What happens is you lose everything, which is your fault already, and your computer is still screwed up. I recommend the warranty out of mere entertainment. Hint. If you like having your computer replaced every two or so years, always buy Hewlett Packard. Those things come pre-screwed-up right outta the box. Windows Vista adds even more excitement to the problem.


Well, that's about it for now. More later.

1 comment:

Joseph Sixpack said...

I bought a Compaq Presario in August 2001. It endured a deployment to Bosnia, a trip to Europe, a deployment to Iraq, a few months in the Mohave Desert, and one winter when I was away for training, it sat in the back seat of my car. Throughout all of this, it continued working for reasons that I cannot fathom. It was beaten, mishandled, and subjected to extremely high and low temperatures. In 2005, I finally really screwed up on my second deployment to Iraq and spilled coffee on the keyboard, which rendered my "J" key inoperable. I had to cut and paste every J from that point until I bought a new Compaq Presario in 2006. Likewise, this one has taken a beating and continues working.

I recommend the Compaq.