“Poverty may be the mother of crime, but lack of good sense is the father” - Jean de la Bruyere
Houston, we have a problem.
If you think New Orleans is tired of crime, Houston has a case of insomnia from it. Given the cities' close proximity to each other, Houston took in a lot of Katrina refugees, and got a whole lot more than they bargained for. Since no good deed goes unpunished, now many of their "guests" have long overstayed their welcome, and they refuse to leave, among refusing to do a lot of other things. As opposed to their former haunts in the Crescent City (which is being rebuilt so they can tear it up all over again), Houston must have a lot of low hanging fruit.
So here is just one of last night's free-for-alls in Houston. Instead of waxing poetically on this story, I think some creative writing by the readers is in order. Your theories should include the following:
1. What were Cedric and Maxie doing up at 3 a.m.?
2. Just exactly what was their relationship? Business, friends, relatives, acquaintances, enemies, members of the Rotary Club, complete strangers?
3. What egregious transgression prompted Cedric to whack Maxie?
4. How more leftist handgun control laws could prevent something like this from happening in the future.
5. And finally, make up some politically correct excuse that exonerates Cedric as the real victim of this and somehow blame it on the Bush administration - George W. is from Texas too, after all.
All entries will be evaluated by next Saturday, along with another interesting case for us to noodle out. Until then, go to bed at a decent hour, and don't get shot.